How to look after your new dental implants
- Once you’ve had your implant fitted for 24 hours, we would recommend that you rinse your mouth very gently with warm water. You could also add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a cup of warm water and rinse four or five times a day, for about three to four days after your implant is fitted.
- After a few days we will provide clinical mouthwash for you to rinse your mouth every morning and night.
- Following your Implant treatment we will prescribe antibiotics or/and pain relief medication, please follow the instructions very carefully to make sure you take the correct dose at the correct intervals. It is also important to complete the course of antibiotics.
- Asprin or other medication which contains asprin may induce bleeding so please avoid taking these.
- Immediately after your implant has been fitted, please keep physical activities to a minimum.
- Keeping your head elevated for the first 24-48 hours after your implant is fitted can minimise swelling.
- It is normal for swelling to occur after your implant has been placed but by using an ice pack on the side of your face for the first 48 hours to reduce swelling is always recommended. If you stay in our recommended hotel they have plenty of ice packs and will change them once they become warm.
- Please avoid eating or drinking hot foods for the first 24 hours after your implant has been placed as this can increase bleeding. Food and drinks that are warm in temperature are fine.
- You could disturb or irritate your new implant by touching it with your tongue, so we advise against this.
- Please do not sit directly in the sun for the first 48 hours following your Implant procedure. You can sit outside in the warm under the shade.
- Smoking could delay your healing process and increases the chance of infection so again we would advise against this. If you do smoke we recommend smoking the minimum amount and rinsing your mouth more frequently.
- If a sinus lift or bone graft was necessary in your procedure, please avoid blowing your nose during the first two weeks. You can clean the inside of your nose gently with a cotton bud.
- When brushing and flossing your teeth as normal, please avoid the area around your new implant, rinsing with a small amount of water.
If you are unsure about anything please call us or email us and we are more than happy to answer your questions.